a person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal:
Our six year old neighbor was rescued on July 28. This September 2008, Copley Ohio Township's Board of Trustees Honor Five Individuals for Heroism in a July 28 drowning rescue incident .
Perhaps in "her mind" it was all in a days work... but One of the Five heroes, Elena Gerin (in photo), was the next door neighbor who happened to be in the right place at the urgent time. It was a team effort where everyone's swift training and willing action made the difference between life and death.
Elena teaches advanced CPR and with the swift thinking of a few key individuals, trained to make a difference, a little girl lives, where without such action, she most probably would have perished.
This was a life event well worth noticing. We got to talk about what it means to be a hero to our kids, from real life example. Smart, with impressive credentials is not enough to be a hero, still requires willingness to summon the knowledge, the courage, the resolve, and integrity to succeed.
How to choose to be a hero? Be ready to help. knowing CPR, without a willingness to keep skills current to apply it is not enough. Being ready to help, and able to do what is require regardless of the situation is the very notion of embodied heroism. What can be more important than breathing for a grade school aged child until they could breath for themself? What if that child is your own, or your neighbor, or your child's friend? Being ready to help, knowing CPR, and not letting emotion get in the way is also essential to the nobility of heroism.
CPR & Hero Preparedness Resources:
- Red Cross Courses for the Professional Rescuer-- Know the resources, and the processes if you are a community leader, lifeguard, baby sitter, etc.
- HOW TO HELP: Shop to Support the Red Cross
- Thank A "Hometown" Hero on the Red Cross Page
- Send a Free eCard to celebrate the HomeTown Heroes in your community.
- Home Water Safety Resources
- How to Rescue an Active Drowning Victim
- LinkedIn RedCross Giving Social Networking Group
- Underwriters Laboratory Pool Safety Statistics